A denture is a restorative, prosthetic device that replaces missing teeth. It also supports the facial muscles and improves the appearance and smile of the person. It is a great prosthetic that is customized to meet the requirements of each patient that needs it. Dentures need to be handled with care to avoid damages.
At Radiant Dental Care, our expert dentists advise patients to follow tips that help to avoid damaging the denture. In case of any damage, our dentists would advise patients to visit the dentist.
What Damages the Dentures?
- Dropping them down on hard surfaces can break them. Hence the patients are advised to keep soft towels beneath while handling the dentures. The patient should also provide ample care to the denture while handling it.
- Incorrect insertion and removal can cause damage to the dentures. Our dentist teaches the patient the right method of handling the dentures to avoid any accidental mistakes.
- Exposure to certain substances can cause damage to the denture. The dentist would prescribe solutions that can be used to clean the denture. They also teach the correct method of cleaning it, which helps to maintain the denture in good form. The patient should avoid cleaning the denture using regular toothpaste.
What to Do With Damaged Dentures?
- The patient should carry the chipped or broken part of the denture along with its wiring to the dentistry.
- The patient should not wear a damaged denture. It should be soaked or placed in a box and taken to the dentist.
- If the denture clasp has become loose, the patient could use dental wax and place it on the wire. It functions as a temporary barrier. The patient can visit their dentist for further assistance.
What Should Not Be Done to Damaged Dentures?
- Our dentist advises the patients to avoid repairing the denture by themselves. They should avoid using repair kits at home as they may permanently damage the denture.
- The patient should avoid using over-the-counter glues for repairing the denture. It may contain chemicals that can harm the patient.
Radiant Dental Care, located in Pasadena, TX, has expert dentists who help provide patients with the best dental care in our modern facilities. Call (281) 991-6530 and book an appointment to know more about denture care and receive a complete dental checkup.